Saturday, March 26, 2011

Camera's For Real Estate Agents.

 Before your go a lot further stop and read this article by Ken Rockwell.  The title is "Your Camera Doesn't Matter".  If you are having difficulty getting great shots of your listings you may find it is not  your camera it is you.  There is actually a talent to taking pictures.  Certainly you can learn and apply the principles of photography, but if you find this is not enough then you may consider more specific training.  See Ken's article here.... http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

The equipment you need to shoot real estate is more available than ever.  Just 20 years ago to accomplish what these cameras can do, would have required an expenditure of well over $2,000 dollars.  Today the right point and shoot will do much more for under $400.

What I have found, is that when homes are well represented with strong photographs they get shown sooner, and if priced properly more frequently.  Since most folks begin their home search on the web, you will find the better representation you have there the more attention  your listing will receive.   I shoot high end homes for several agents.  To really capture a high end home is NOT just a camera, it is the lighting, and sometimes some strong lens correcting software found in programs such as DXO or Photoshop CS5 and a lot of "seeing" the home before it is shot.  for Photoshop CS5 or DXO, unless you are going to really, really, really get into photography, I don't recommend the time it takes to learn these programs.  Today we talk about Camera's

The camera I have most recommended in the last year has been the Sony Hx1 it has been out for at least a couple of years, shoots great shots, does panorama by shooting several shots and stitching them in the camera to give you a pretty cool panorama shot.    The Camera also shoots 1080p video.  So over all a good choice. The Hx1 has a 28 mm wide angle lens with up to a 20x zoom.  For shooting  homes the 28mm wide angel is most helpful.  For wider angled shots, Sony had relied on the sweep panorama for this.  I like this camera, it will certainly serve you well and at the same time it has some drawbacks that competitors have capitalized on and now there are some strong alternatives.


In February of 2011 Nikon released the Coolpix 500  it does the sweep panorama and it has a 22.5 wide angle shot up to a 36 x zoom.  The extra 5 mm in the wide angle is significant.  It also shoots 1080p HD movies so you can add video.   The reviews have been good.  Certainly this is a new camera and has not been tested and I have not yet seen one as they are just hitting the stores.  I do trust Nikon and know they make a strong product.  Based on the early reviews this looks to be a strong camera for shooting real estate.


Canon also has an interesting entry into the mix.  the Power Shot SX30is has a 24mm wide angle and zooms upto 34x.  It does shoot video it is only at 720p.  And it does not have the panorama zoom.  This makes it less of a contender, but because of the 24mm wide angle I did include the camera.  I would have to consider the Sony or Nikon, if I were choosing.

All three camera's have a pop up flash that will help with most shooting.  You can also soften the flash with some translucent (not clear) white, non sticky plastic shelf liner. * I will do an instructional video on this soon.

If I were choosing I would have to most strongly consider the Nikon at this point.  I have experienced the Sony and certainly like the camera,  I like the extra wide angle on the Nikon, and since it also does the sweep  panorama it is a strong contender.

What do I shoot with?

I do professional photography along with my real estate.  I shoot with a Nikon D200 Dlsr with an 18-200 zoom.  I also use some portable Alien Bees Lights to add light in tough situations.  The lens alone costs almost twice as much as the camera's I am discussing here.   The difference is simplicity of use.  The cameras I am recommending above will  handle 80% of your needs for shooting real estate.  The 20% of the time you need something more, I would suggest a good professional photographer with the right equipment.
Keep in mind photographers,  like real estate agents, you will find a wide variance of skills and equipment among those who call them selves professional. So choose carefully.  If you have more questions let me know. And good shopping...

Jack 

No comments:

Post a Comment