Sunday, July 5, 2009

At a recent art show, I had an early visitor. A man and his son about 8-9 years old. He was looking at my display and pulled the print below out. He looked at it intently for a bit and then asked me to tell his son what this was about. He had tears in his eyes and his voice was broken. I explained that in war sometimes soldiers died and lost their dog tags and we did not know who they were. This tomb is to honor those soldiers who are not identifiable, and the guard who gards to tomb to show honor to this soldier is unknow since his back is to us and the child's hands is unknown. And I hoped that child would not have to see or make such a sacrifice. The man asked me how much, and handed me the money for the print. I thanked him as I wiped the tears from my eyes and was thankful for the opportunity to take such a shot.

Jack
UnKnown....

No comments:

Post a Comment